I am a huge fan of the Elder Scrolls series, and surprisingly, I’ve never built anything from it.  So I decided to make myself a dragon priest dagger!  These things look really cool and are not very common in the game, so I wanted to take a stab at making one ( pun intended).  I also have kits of the Dagger available if you’d like your own!

I started by making my pattern on inkscape, which you can find here.  I printed that out and glued it to some card stock, and now I’m ready to fabricate!

I decided to make the dagger in 4 parts.   The blade, the hilt, the handle, and the pommel.  This way I could make the molds work better for cold casting.   After I figured out my thickness of the blade, I glued together layers of pvc foam plastic sheets using a 2 part epoxy adhesive.  I put a thin layer of bright green plastic in the center.  That way I can make sure I always know where the center is when shaping it.

Using my favorite tool in the shop,  the bench sander, I slowly sanded away at the plastic to give the piece a blade shape.  Now, this dagger has many layers of details on it, and I didn’t want to make it really thick by adding more layers to it, so I used the same green plastic that I used in the center.  The plastic is super thin and easy to cut with an x-acto knife.  I also used two different colors so I could differentiate between layers ( these were the only two colors that the store had.


Once I had that I moved on to the handle.  For the handle I cut my shape from a piece of scrap wood.  I marked my groove and bevel lines and used a file and dremel to get my shape.


I used a band saw to get my initial groove lines cut.  That way I knew that they would line up perfectly on the other side.  Once that part was done I moved on to the pommel!  For the pommel I used a similar method to the blade.  I figure out my max thickness and layered the plastic together.  Starting with the overall shape and adding to it piece by piece.

I used a round dremel bit and used a stippling motion to add the beaten metal look to it, this way it would look pitted and aged also giving it a nice texture when painted up.  I used this same process on the rest of the dagger.  Lastly I made the hilt using the exact same method as I did for the pommel. I also made male and female ends for the 4 parts so that they could be easily assembled after I cast them.

I used filler primer and did some wet sanding until I had the desired finish and then it was ready to cast.  For this dagger I went with simple box molds.  First I built little boxes for the pieces and clayed the up.  Then I used some hot glue to make sure that I had no potential areas for the silicone to leak once I poured it.  I added some sprues to the pommel and hilt pieces, this way I could avoid getting bubbles.

The molds came out wonderful!  I did a couple of pulls to figure out my measurements for resin.  Once I had that figured out I cold cast up a piece, assembled it, and gave  it a quick polish.

This build was a lot of fun, I really enjoyed getting to do something with a cool texture and more organic feel.

Stay tuned for more awesome build write ups!

-WM